Safe, informed, and respectful visitation of wild lands
My combination of formal training and hard-earned experience result in a unique position to share what you really need to know.
- A lifetime and over 10,000 miles traveling through wild Alaska
- Certified instructor for the Swiftwater Safety Institute
- 10 years work experience in the GIS sector
- Graduate degrees from MIT and UC Santa Barbara
- Author of The Packraft Handbook, over 5000 copies sold
- Wilderness First Responder certified
- 12-time completer of the summer and winter Alaska Mountain Wilderness Classics
Three-day swiftwater rescue technician courses for the Swiftwater Safety Institute. These certifying courses are designed for guides, rescue professionals, and other organizations that might use packrafts in a professional setting.
Following the guidelines presented in The Packraft Handbook, learn the principles of boat control and river navigation. Half- and multi-day, instruction is available, up to Class III difficulty.
Custom courses that combine off-trail travel planning are also available.
Off-trail Travel and Digital Navigation
The use of online mapping resources allows you to plan and complete ambitious journeys of your own design. Go in with an added safety margin. Previous clients include the Air National Guard, NPS rangers, Search and Rescue teams, guides, and recreational enthusiasts.
These courses can be incorporate time in the field, either as an exercise or larger adventure.
Ice Travel and Safety
Traveling miles of ice on skates can be exhilarating, but the farther you are from the road, the more vulnerable you are if something goes wrong. Learn what to carry and how to respond if someone breaks through the ice.
“Skills learned from our class at work! I just did the guardrail section of Willow Creek for the first time and felt competent and confident for the whole stretch! Your class really helped me get to this point!“